Saturday, June 21, 2014

5 & 6 weeks [babywise]

5 & 6 weeks
Happy 6 weeks to our sweet little boy!  And daddy is now home for the summer!
Oh.my.goodness.  Can I just say how over the moon I am over this?
I love how much time and energy he devotes to Solis.
My husband cannot sit still for the life of him and he met his match with Solis.
They are perfect for each other :)  She is one lucky girl to have a play partner all summer.
And he is fabulous with Rogue.  He knows the babywise schedule so well and I can run errands or go to the gym without having to worry about a thing.

Rogue is weighing in 11 pounds 6 ounces.  Gaining weight like a champ.
Eating: He eats 7x a day.  Towards the end of this week, he started opening his eyes while nursing.  I used to love those precious moments with Solis.  What I don't love are his signs of reflux.  Solis had terrible reflux that made her super colicky for the first 6/7 months.  We took Rogue to the doctors this week and they started him on Zantac so we're hoping to nip this in the bud early.  I hate to see my babies in discomfort.
 
Waketime: Smiles and coos filled waketimes this week.  I love when babies start to wake up and get a personality.  He usually has 20-25 minutes of activity time after he eats.  Some activities we did were: bath, being held by us, floor time watching Solis, tummy time, or going outside for fresh air.  From start to finish, his waketimes (including eating) are still only around 45-50 minutes.  My dad joked that he doesn't think we even have a baby b/c he's always up in his room sleeping.  I'll admit it, I'm not a newborn mom, even though I love all the cuddles.  I can't wait till he can extend his waketimes and we can play with him more!
Naps: Rogue takes 4 naps a day.  The first 3 naps are usually pretty good.  He goes down awake and puts himself to sleep.  There are times he'll start crying an hour or so into his nap.  Almost always, it's b/c he pooped or spit up all over himself.  When he wakes early, I'll either rock him for the remaining time or wear him in the Ergo or Moby wrap.  His last nap of the day (around 6pm) is the hardest.  It's his witching hour(s).  He'll start his nap in his rock 'n play but almost always ends up in our arms or the carrier.

This is what happens when you have no clean swaddles b/c you spit up all over them.  You have to wear your sister's.
Night Sleep: On average, he slept 6 hours a night.  But then he's go back to 5 hours.  And one magical night, he slept 8 hours!!  Our night routine looks like this: we put Solis to bed at 8, then I nurse Rogue and put him down around 9.  He gets the dreamfeed around 10:45 and then will sleep till around 5ish.  He gets another 2 hours of sleep after that and we all start our day around 8.  All of our work the first 6 weeks is paying off.  Meaning, I didn't take Rogue hardly anywhere.  We stayed home to make sure he took his naps on time.  A lot of sacrifices had to be made but I know in the long run, a well rested baby is a happy baby.

Schedule: No matter how long he sleeps at night, I'll wake him from his 2nd stretch of sleep between 8-8:30.  That way we can stay on a 3 hour routine all day (11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, DF).

Solis: She is taking on the big sister so well.  When Rogue is laying on the bed and his hand brushes against her, she squeals, "He's touching me!!"  When the neighbor girls come over to play (they are in elementary school) and I bring Rogue out, Solis runs over and starts bragging, "Here's my baby brother Roguey!  It's MY brother!"  Another phrase that popped out of her mouth this week was, "I like my boy!"

Me: I started running again!  I took 4 weeks off so I'm only doing very easy 30 minute jogs.  And when I say easy, I'm only doing 9:30 pace.  Yes, it's hard to start at the bottom but it's so awesome to feel more and more like myself again.  I love working out and my husband is super supportive at finding time to let me do it.